Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Marshal Will Kane

I just watched High Noon (1952).

The parallels between that film and my life at work are striking. For that matter, most of us who work for someone else all are lone gunslingers going up against a gang bent on doing us in.

Here’s a portion of High Noon’s plot summary found at IMDB:

Will decides he must go back and face Miller. However, when he seeks the help of the townspeople he has protected for so long, they turn their backs on him. It seems Kane may have to face Miller alone, as well as the rest of Miller's gang, who are waiting for him at the station.

And now my rewrite:

I decide that I must stay and face up to my abusive, incompetent manager. However, I know that when I seek the support of my cowardly coworkers that I have supported for more than a year, they will turn their backs on me. It seems I may have to face my manager alone, as well as the rest of the managers and supervisors, who always close ranks when one of their own comes under attack.