Friday, June 5, 2009

And after our croissant, we'll smoke a Gitanes.

Describing the kind of person sought, the following was part of an ad on mediabistro.com for an editor position at a consumer magazine in northern Virginia.

You:
---like working on a close-knit team where you can learn every aspect of magazine publishing
---are overflowing with creative ideas
---thrive in a fun, fast-paced environment
---enjoy baked goods on Wednesday


Hard working, creative, fun types are a dime a dozen. I'll pass, thank you very much. Give me a Wednesday doughperson anytime.

I know that when I've done recruiting, I've always hired editors whose refined palate can appreciate the finest Wednesday-only specialties from my local patisserie.

In addition to that attribute, and perhaps even more important, is that they have the self-discipline to indulge in that guilty pleasure only on Wednesdays.

Wednesday's child is full of woe joie de vivre.